Tuesday, September 2, 2008

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!

This would be 7 hours before we were supposed to board a plane to move to Miami.  We had done just one more load of laundry to pack and had put our drying rack with the fan on it to dry.  I had done this for 16 months.  We left to go get power, juice and have dinner with our friends (a little over two hours) and returned to this. . . The fan had overheated or something and melted causing an electrical fire, yes really an electrical fire.  Luckily I had put cort's swimming trunks on the rung that was closest to the fan.  They ended up melting instead of catching on fire.  The rest of the clothes were cotton so I am so grateful for swim trunks.  I could not go in and help (pregnant and all) so knocked on the door of the guys next door while Cort, Chris and very quickly Paul got into the house (remember kids run away from fire) and saved our computers, backpacks and packed luggage.  
Before I knew it Fleur took Metz up to her house to play (Christian and Metz are the best of friends and all) and I was able to start organizing the things that had been taken out.  Chelsie and Keith arrived and before I knew it I had someone helping me get everything clean and organized.  Since I couldn't go in the house, Chelsie was my runner and got me clothes (to wash for the next day) soap, bags anything I needed.  I was able to start to get things in order to leave very soon.
It seemed like the smoke wasn't ever going to stop! 
Our poor apartment.  It only looked like this for a minute though.  People got straight to work. Every inch of our apartment was covered.  You would even open a cupboard and smoke would escape.    
Our ceiling is stucco so the whole thing looked like this.   The whole apartment was just covered.  We did not have the best experience with our landlord, but things will get worked out thanks to those who are still there and have offered to help.  You'll see the clean up below, we still left at our scheduled time, 4 a.m., with a clean apartment, caught our plane and got to Puerto Rico without a hitch (well almost, I threw up on the way to the airport - no sleep, fire, windy road and pregnant just wasn't the best thing for me).  Granted we were dirty, tired and hungry but we made it.  We had McDonalds, naps on the floor in the airport, and caught our flight to Miami where we were greeted with hugs and kisses by Berne and Jan.  It's amazing how some things end up working out . . . not like you planned, but still works.  
This would be what the boys looked like after running in and out of the apartment.  We needed Krista as a comparison to see how dirty they really were.  By the way, thank you to the guys who ran in and saved our stuff and kept reminding Cort to get out when he was in the apartment too long.

3 comments:

Princess Hairstyles said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea. I'm so glad you guys made it out ok. Hopefully things will be smooth sailing for awhile.

Jennifer said...

Yikes! Well, I guess all's well that ends well! Thank goodness for those swim shorts and thank goodness for the happy helpers!

Matt said...

What a great "bon voyage" from the nature island eh?... We will miss you guys- enjoy all the mc'd's you can eat and let us know how miami goes